Tuesday 4 October 2016

Annual Remembrance Of My Existence

Reflection & Appreciation
Once a year every year, we all unavoidably get reminded of the day we were born and often this day is met with great enthusiasm as well as tons of expectations from ourselves to those around us. We expect to be celebrated and showered with messages, calls, gifts etc. at times we go as far as expect surprise getaways and parties or even plan our own.

While there is nothing wrong with this and being celebrated, have you taken the time to celebrate yourself? I mean taken the time to do some deep, honest and truthful introspection? To awe at the milestones you have overcome and conquered? The person you have become today?

While it's purely human to have expectations this can often lead to many disappointments, disappointments which might even be hard to fathom because, hello! it's my birthday, how could so and so not do such and such???? But then I say, why should so and so do such and such when you haven't done it for yourself when you actually can? I'm sure you get my point.

While it's okay to get celebrated, it is far more important to celebrate yourself!! The world will more fully celebrate a self-celebrated monument.

Self-Celebrated Monument

The beauty of being a self celebrated monument is that you are able to celebrate others even when it isn't their day or any special occasion.

This year particularly, I don't know why, maybe I'm growing up?? But I felt a deep sense of gratitude towards my parents, particularly my mom, the main reason that I am here today and celebrated. Had it not been for them, there would be nothing for those around me to celebrate today. Had it not been for my mom, her role and teachings, I would not be who and where I am today.

She is a self-celebrated monument that has celebrated me all the years of her life and my life will live on to celebrate hers all the days of my life.

New Year, New Leap, New Leaf
My annual remembrances serve as anniversaries which drive me to turning new leafs and planning new leaps. It is a time for me to reflect over all I have overcome and achieved in the past year and a time for me to plan and set out my pinnacles for the year to come.

As the years add on, I like to view myself as a barrel bearing precious goods, a barrel which should only bear fruitful gifts when the time has come and obviously this can only be achieved if I add good elements to this barrel. 

It is my journey and not a race, it is my path to take and my lessons to learn. I came alone and alone shall I return. I am celebrated because I have celebrated myself..

I am a Self-Celebrated Monument 


5 comments:

  1. Lovely Pam... Self-love is one of the hardest challenges of our day. Like a battery, We can only charge others when we are charged. And a mindset of Gratitude makes our days sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwww!After such a powerful statement, what else is there to say? You one of a kind. So special in many ways. So full of surprises. So vibrant, so full of life and it's like one is on an incessant journey of discovery where you are concerned. You don't cease to amaze me. I'm in awe about the woman you have turned into. I have a feeling that there's a full bag of surprises in store for us as we tarry down this journey of life with you. Each day is truly a rebirth and a new reawakening for you. I thank the Almighty for this Precious gem He planted in our midst and I was also humbled by your post! To mother someone as precious, fantastic and fabulous as you is a real blessing. Thank you for choosing this lady amongst all the moms that lined up to receive you from Heaven. Love you always: Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get your point. Happy celebrating "this awesome monument" you. The more we appreciate life and give thanks & praise, the more we understand life - you said this year you appreciating your parents. Siphokazi and Black "Tshisa Mpama" Coffee collaborated on a track called "Lomhlaba" and this was speaking more about appreciating life. If I were to read out loud this blog, I would have that track play on the background. I am happy to take this challenge as an October baby - I need to celebrate "this monument" me and reflect/awe to the journey not race I am on.

    ReplyDelete